What is LOST.DIR
- What is LOST.DIR – The LOST.DIR is a system folder lost directory.
- Android OS store files that were recovered during a system boot up.
- It is analogous to the ‘Recycle Bin‘ in windows os.
- The files which are stored inside this directory can be recovered.
- Most of the times you won’t find anything at all in LOST.DIR directory.
What is the folder for?
There is no application named LOST.DIR installed on your device.
What file it stores?
- If you Suddenly pulling out SD card from Android phone.
- Interruptions while downloading files on Android phone.
- Sudden freez of Android OS.
- Forcely switch off the device while some read-write process is carrying on.
When it works?
- While saving files and suddenly the phone turned off, or maybe you pull the SD card out when files were being written on it.
- Android system places copies of those files in LOST.DIR directory so it can try and recover them on the next boot.
- The files in the process of copying are also renamed.
- So if you find weirdly named files in the folder as they are only renamed versions of files present on your android device.
When LOST.DIR folder empty?
- LOST.DIR folder contents can be deleted when it comes to saving your phone’s memory.
- It won’t affect your Android function.
- By the way even after you delete it, the next time you reboot your phone the folder will be created again.
What happened if I delete LOST.DIR folder?
- You can also delete the LOST.DIR folder itself but it will reappear the next time the system boots up.
- When your Android show message ‘Preparing external SD card‘ its checking the contents of LOST.DIR, and if it fails to locate the directory, it creates one.
How to recover lost .dir files for free?
It’s not an easy job to recover the lost files from LOST.DIR just like you do from Windows Recycle Bin.
Why is that?
you see some issues in finding the important files that you want to recover since the files in LOST.DIR are named with random numbers instead of the original names they were given.
EaseUS data recovery: the best way to recover LOST.DIR files from Android devices
EaseUS Data Recovery Wizard can well solve this problem easily by offering a full recovery of your files and folder structure.
A Step by step guide to perform lost .dir recovery:
Connect the external sd card of your Android to a computer.
And free recovery software.
Step 1. Launch the EaseUS data recovery software.
Step 2. Select the disk from which you want to recover data.
Step 3. Click “Scan” to search for all the lost data on the disk.
Step 4. A quick scan will run first. Then a deep scan will automatically launch.
Step 5. After the scan, choose the lost data found by this recovery tool and click “Recover” button to retrieve them back.